Columbia River Chapter History
The Columbia River Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution was formed March 17, 1949, in the home of Mrs. J.D. Dixon. The Washington State Regent, Mrs. Swem, attended this meeting with such fanfare that a tour of the town of Pasco was given. The TriCity Herald also showed up to take pictures and write an article about the new organization.
Founding Daughters of the Columbia Basin Chapter were:
Mrs R. Thomas Halbush as Organizing Regent
Catherine S. Osterhage as Vice Regent
Mrs. B.E. Hammond as Chaplain
Mrs. George V. FitzPatrick as Secretary
Mrs. Henry J. Naimy as Treasurer
Mrs. William Boice as Registrar
Part of the process of creating a DAR chapter was to determine a name for the chapter and explain why that particular name was chosen.
We chose Columbia River as the name of our chapter because this mighty water has dominated our local since the beginning of history. Indian tribes from miles around clustered its banks to spear salmon on which their very existence depended. The Columbia was the highway upon which Sacajawea led Lewis and Clark on their expedition. The river, because of its unlimited water supply was chosen as the site of the Richland Atomic Plant on which hinges the beginning of the end of our modern civilization. To sum up, the Columbia River represents not only history in the past, but our hope for a better civilization. Therefore, we want to be known as the Columbia River Chapter. (Mrs. G.V. FitzPatrick, Chapter Secretary)
If you would like more information on how to join our great chapter email us using our simple-to-use Contact Form.